Cricket in Welney

History - detailed chronological events

last amended/updated Thursday, 09 May 2013

The club is in possession of a minutes book dating back to 1905. From that and other archive material, Tony Smart has compiled the following chronological listing of events associated with the club.

1884 On Monday 14th of July Outwell beat Welney by 1 wicket in a two innings match- Outwell scoring 29 and 41-9wkts and Welney 54 and 15. Head Teacher Mr.Bearcock top scored for the village with 16 runs and Rev.Wilford taking 13 wickets in the match. On the following Saturday Welney beat West Head by 1 wicket – a fixture was scheduled with Lakesend before the end of season.
1904-14 At some time between these years Ernie Blows recalled WG Grace playing cricket in the village on Mr. John Loveday's field at Maywood Farm.
1905 Friendly fixtures were arranged against Upwell, Dairy Houses, Littleport, A.Schachts XI and the Rigger Houpe Club.
1907 Having disbanded the previous season the club reforms
1911 Mr.John Loveday again kindly offers his field for use under the same conditions as before ‘No bad language shall be used on the field’ and this was to be strictly adhered to. For those guilty of this offence there would be immediate dismissal from the field of play!
1914 Before the First World War the club closes with a balance of £1 – 9 shillings and 10 pence.
1920 The first season after the war there was a large attendance of 40 in the Odd Fellows Hall to reform the club. Mr.Clayton offered his field for matches (Highfields, off Wisbech Road).
1922 The club joins the Upwell and District League with 10 other teams – Upwell Rovers, Squires Drove, Outwell, Friday Bridge, Tipsend & Hole in the Wall, Lakesend, Christchurch, Nordelph, March & Whitemoor and Emneth.
1923 The club makes the national newspapers sports pages by dismissing Friday Bridge for 0 runs in only 28 deliveries during an Upwell League match played on Minister Wash with brothers Ernie and John Blows taking all the wickets.
1924 The Upwell League has 10 teams with newcomers Wimbotsham, Wimblington, Elm, Hill Street, and Gladroy Villa.
1926 Enough players are available for the formation of a second XI.
1929 At the club’s AGM the treasurer declares the account to be in the ’red’ by 7 shillings and 10 pence.
c1935 Back, l to r, J Prior, J Bedford, B Taylor, A Hawes, C Kent, H Wilson, M Peacock, Rev H Wilford.
front, W Motram, A Carter, L Watson, R James, W.Scott.
1937 Club President Rev. Wilford dies suddenly at the age of 73, after 52 years of association with the club.
1939 AGM held on May 12th – Britain declares war against Germany on September 3rd.
1945 War ends with VE day on May 8th. Another large post war attendance at the AGM (May 18th) reforming the club, playing at Maywood Farm with subscriptions at 5 shillings and 2 shillings and 6 pence for under 16’s.
1948 The club enters the Wisbech & District League and the Sandall Cup. Boys team also formed for the season.
1949 Proposed formation of the Welney United Sports Club (January 24th) with the merger of the Football, Cricket and the Mens Institute clubs. This amalgamation, under the stewardship of Head Teacher Charles Brotherton – club lasted until 1951 (October 17th)
1950 Club stalwart John Blows dies watching the village football team at Highfields.
Players: Back: Albert Malkin, anon with cravat, Alf ‘Wiggy’ Scott, Ray Wilson, Reg Rowlett, Wally Branch.
Front - Doug Scott, Reg Scott, Kitch Malkin, Albert Smart, Lionel Carter.
Gents in hats & coats unknown, assumed to be the umpires
1950's Another team from the 50's
Back – Tommy Watson, Reg Rowlett, Albert Smart, Ray Wilson, Ernie Hampshire, Clennel Scott, Charles Brotherton (school master).
Front – Reg Scott, Kitch Malkin, Doug Scott, Lionel Carter, Bobby Kent, Alf ‘Wiggy’ Scott
Captain Doug Scott is believed to be holding the March GER Cup.
1954 Club youngster Peter Scott is offered the opportunity of joining the Nottinghamshire Cricket Clubs ground staff on leaving Upwell Secondary Modern School, but reluctantly has to decline.
1955 No fixtures fulfilled.
1956 The club reforms and a motion is passed for playing Sunday cricket at the AGM, later a special meeting is held when Sidney Scott resigns the Chairmanship with Les Hall taking over, the Sunday Cricket motion is then defeated.
1957 Joint winners of the Wisbech League Division 3 with Walsoken.
1958/9 Peter Scott wins Wisbech Cricket League ‘Star Yougster’ competition sponsored by the Saturday Pictorial newspaper for two consecutive seasons.
1960 All fixtures are played away.
1961 Club member Don Scott is elected onto the newly formed Village Playing Field Association.
1962 Club dismissed for only 8 runs, a club record lowest score.
1964 Playing in the first division of the Wisbech League.
1965 Withdraw from the Wisbech league and play all friendly fixtures away. Peter Bedford is named Wisbech Standard Cricketer of the Week, taking 7 wickets for 12 runs, including a ‘hat-trick’ against Runcton Holme (Bowling analysis 6.3- 2-12-7)
1966 After only 2 fixtures against Ouse Bridge and Wimblington the club disbands, due to a shortage of players.
1969 The club is reformed at a meeting in the Three Tunns and enters the Wisbech Leagueand finish the season completing the Second Division "double", winning the league and Sandall Cup.
Wisbech Leagues Aistrup bowling award for most league wickets presented to Tony Smart.
All home matches played at Mr. Joe Bedford's Grange Farm
Barroway Drove were beaten by 46 runs in the Sandall Cup final at the metal Box ground, Wisbech.(Welney 76-7wkts and Barroway 30)
Welney Past XI (59-4w) beat the current team (56) by 6 wickets.

1969 Team doubles winners
1970 In January the club holds its first Dinner Dance in the village hall with 100 members and guests. Mr. & Mrs Clive Frusher (Wisbech Standard) presents the trophies.
The League and Sandall Cup being presented to club captain Michael North.
Entertainment provided by the Tony Charles Band.
Pre-season coaching sessions for all club members are held at the school by qualified MCC coach Bryan Turner.
Colin Taylor wins the first Single Wicket Competition beating Paul Laughlin in the final.
1971 First season playing on the new Playing Field.
Oldroyd Cup finalists losing to Walpole Highway by 23 runs at Wisbech Town CC.
1973 Oldroyd Cup winners against March St Marys at Upwell, winning by 68 runs.
Peter Scott scores the first century (105) on the new playing field in a league match against March St.Marys.
1974 Again Oldroyd Cup finalists at Leverington, losing to Walpole Highway by only 4 runs and beaten Loughton Cup (6 a side) finalists, losing to March St.Marys by 2 wickets.
1975 Ernie Blows, one of the clubs most famous former players, dies at the age of 84

1971 Oldroyd Cup finalists

1976 Wisbech League champs

1976 Presentation dinner
1976 The clubs most successful season winning the Wisbech & District Cricket League, for the first and only time to date, and finalists in both the Sandall and Mortimore Rosebowls.March St Marys beating Welney by 4 runs at Wisbech’s Metal Box ground in the Sandall final and losing to Southery & Ouse Bridge by 28 runs in the Mortimore final at Littleport.

The season culminated in a Presentation Dinner at the Lamb & Flag with League Secretary Ken Morton presenting the Jeffrey shield to club captain David Smart and individual mementoes to the players.

1976 presentation of Jeffrey Shield to captain David Smart
 1977 Another successful season for the club winning the Wisbech Leagues premier knock out competition the Sandall Rosebowl beating Barroway Drove at Leverington. The Wisbech Standard reported "the match was one of the quickest and most one sided finals on record, the leagues pacemakers skittled Barroway out for only 22 runs and reached the victory target without loss in just 3.2 overs". The club made its first appearance in the Wisbech Standard K.O final, losing to March St.Marys by 2 wickets and later in the season losing to Denver by 8 wickets in the Mortimore Rosebowl at Littleport. At the end of season Presentation dinner held at the Lamb & Flag, the League Chairman Jim Rawlings presented the Sandall Rosebowl and the Hicks Cup (for the leagues best wicket) to club captain David Smart, the Sullivan Cup to Steven Smart for holding most catches in the league and the clubs own batting award to John Copping and the bowling award to Peter Laughlin.
1978 Club members decide to withdraw from the league and play mainly friendly fixtures. The Kirkland Cup is entered for the first time in over 20 years against Wilburton, played over 2 evenings, this resulted in a defeat by 40 runs. The clubs Batting and Bowling awards both won by Tony Smart.
1979 Enter the Pymore Sunday league with Pymore, Ely Sugar Beet Factory, Ouse Bridge and Denver.
1980 Pymore Sunday League entered again and the club finally win the Mortimore Rosebowl at the third attempt, beating Denver by 7 wickets.
1981 At the clubs AGM, held in the Playing Field Pavilion, both Secretary and the Treasurer resign without any volunteers to fill the posts or the groundsmans duties. Chairman Arthur Carter decides to call a later meeting should anyone come forward before disbanding the club. The club fails to fulfil any fixtures for the season and disbands with £128 in the bank.
1990 The club reforms under the guidance of Bob Frusher
1991 New all weather strip is laid for the wicket on the Playing Field for the first season of the reformed club. Award winners - R.Frusher (Batting), M.Sawyer (Bowling)
1992 Welney Past XI beats the current team by 5 wickets. Player of the year – Matthew Waring. Award winners – R.Frusher (Batting & Bowling) and M.Waring (Catching).
1993 Youths cricket team formed with matches against March and Leverington. Welney Past XI again wins the challenge match, this time by only 2 wickets. Player of the year – Martin Cobb. Award winners – R.Frusher (Batting), R.Coo (Bowling) & S.Singleterry (Catching)
1994 Youths team enter the Fenland Mid-week League (under 14’s) The current team finally beats the Past XI by 37 runs with Bob Frusher top scoring with 123 runs. Scores Welney 278- 6 wkts and the Past XI 241 all out, including a 10th wicket partnership of 101 by Stuart Singleterry and Tony Smart. Player of the year – Simon Singleterry. Award winners – R.Frusher (Batting & Catching), S.Warby (Bowling), S.Singleterry (Catching award shared)
Ray Kent donated a trophy to be played for annually to commemorate the Blows Brothers who in 1923 bowled out a team for no runs...
1995 Player of the year – Bob Frusher. Award winners – D.Gray (Batting & Catching) and A.Beckett (Bowling)
1996 Award winners J.Wakefield (Batting), J.Carlisle (Bowling) and M.Waring (Catching)
1997 The club play in the Fenland Trophy League (P 10 – W 6 – D 0 – L 4) and finish mid table. The club beats Upwell by 9 wickets in the final of the Calitheke Cup at Lode Hall. Award winners – W.Markille (Batting), K.Jakings (Bowling) and D.Dodman (Catching).
1998 Bob Frusher resigns all posts and disbands the club without funds, the all weather wicket is later removed at the request of the Playing Field [committee].

2001 presentation to Dave Belton

2001 presentation dinner
1999 Meeting held in the Three Tunns to reform the club where it was decided to send out letters of appeal to former players to raise funds for the new club. Over £600 was raised for new equipment. Fixtures against Littleport and Brentwood Labour Party were played and a Over/Under 40s’ match arranged.
2000 At a well attended AGM held in the Lamb & Flag it was decided that the new Club's name would be ‘Welney Croft Cricket Club’ and a full fixture list was presented to the meeting.
Stuart Singleterry records the highest ever score in the clubs history, 155 not out ( 7 sixes and 16 fours) at home against Feltwell.
At the end of season Presentation dinner at the Lamb & Flag, over 35 members, wives and guests attend with the guest speaker being John Dye, the former Kent and Northants county cricketer. The evening entertainment was provided by Paddy Stronge. Award winners: Cricketer of the Year and bowling awards: Dennis Birch; Batting and Catching awards: Stuart Singleterry; Captains award: Kevin Scarff.
A special award was presented to all rounder Peter Scott who had played for the club over a 50-season period, first playing at the age of 11 on the Minister Wash and finishing the season runners up in both the batting and bowling averages
2001 The Blows Brothers Trophy, donated by Ray Kent, was played against Pymore, with the visitors winning by 4 wickets. 47 guests attend another successful end of season dinner with special guest speaker being the Leicestershire captain and England player Vince Wells.
Award winners: Cricketer of the Year: Stuart Singleterry Batting Award: Richard Carter Bowling Award: Malcolm Sargent Catching Award: Derek Thompson Captains Award: David Belton
2002 The Club was host to a first-class county team, Leicestershire County. See: Article and photos
2012 Club enters Mid-Norfolk Sunday League, playing in Peter Parfitt Div 3.
2013 Club playing in Haverson Div 3.

2000 award winners

2001 Blows Cup Winners

2001 Presentation Dinner
Vince Wells and John Loveday
back to top of page © 2013 Website designed, maintained and hosted by Peter Cox any comments? please e-mail