new welney sign

The Welney Website

Mission School, Suspension Bridge, Welney

page created August 2010, amended/updated Friday, 01 May 2015
home contents news and views sports and social information centre local government links commerce other

in 1881Mr Charles Thompson
in 1890Henry Jacobs
in 1892William Baxter
in 1896George Crowden Fleming
in 1912Mrs Bessie Thomas
in 1925Charles Ray

in the 1881 census, Henry Jacobs was shown as aged 14, occupation School Teacher.
Charles Ray is listed as head of Welney School 1925-1948
1874. A Church of England free school known as the "Mission School" was built by Marshall's Charity for 80 pupils on the Hundred Foot Bank at Suspension Bridge.
It was also licenced for divine service, held on Sundays.
1892, 1896. Avg attendance 52.
1912. Average attendance was 59 pupils.
1917. 56 pupils on photo below
1927. Closed, all 43 pupils transferred to Welney School.
This arrangement proved unsatisfactory owing to the almost annual flooding of the Washes between the Bedford Rivers, and shortly before 1938 the children were again transferred, this time to Ten Mile Bank School - or Hilgay (?).

The school building and the schoolmaster's house were conveted to private residences, the former is nowTall Pines, the latter School Hoouse.

In the photo below, thought to be taken in 1917, there are 56 pupils.
mission school circa 1917

  This next photo is thought to be around 1920. 2 teachers,19 pupils
mission school circa 1920 can anyone more positively identify this?

1917 photo from article by Derek Levesley, Welney News issue 60.
c1920 photo courtesy Tony Smart
In April 2006, Tall pines was badly damaged by fire.
Related pages on this website
William Marshall School, Welney
William Marshall - the man
Marshall's Charity - his charity
Suspension Bridge area & bridges
Tall Pines fire in April 2006
Related pages on other websites
Welney Mission School PDF
back to top of page back to schools directory any comments?  please e-mail webmaster