The Welney Website
Site Contents & Index
page created Feb 2005; last updated
Sunday, 25 December 2016
- WEBSITE CONTENTS
- Introduction to Welney
- Information Centre
- Recreation, Sport
- Social activities
- Visitor attractions
- People of Welney
- Lives & memories
- Obituaries index
- Barry, Helen
- Bedford, Peter (Pop)
- Booth, Denis
- Carter, Harold
- Carter, Walter
- Coo, Bert
- Fisher, Tom
- Giles, Frank
- Green, Roy
- James, Ernie
- Johansen, Peter
- Revett, Don
- Rolfe, Thomas
- Rowlett, Reg
- Singleterry, Madge
- Sorenson, Ken
- Thompson, Bill
- Waring, John
- Watson, Horace
- Wright, Lauren
- The Markham family
- A1101 Flooding overview
- Local Government
- Links to other local sites
This page offers a choice of navigation.
Below, the old alphabetical list with brief details of page contents.
Left, a new multi-level pop-out/fly-out menu. The first level allows you to choose the main page or subject
index as in the alphabetical list, but
by mousing across you can go directly to a particular sub-page, section or
with a single click.
For example, if you want to see the latest available minutes of Welney Parish
Council, mouse over Local Government, then move right, through the Council's name to
the next box. Mouse over "Minutes" then right again to the current year, and right
again to the latest month. Click that and up will pop a PDF version of the original
Word document. (Note, minutes open in new Wndows or tabs so you can have several
open at once to follow a topic.)
If you cant find what you want in either, try the search facility.
management & technical details.
- Aircraft crashes during WW2
- Angling Club (see also Fishing below)
- Business directory
- Community Centre from proposal to permission
- Children's play equipment at playing field.
- Church the history of Welney St. Mary's. For service details, events
& contacts go to the United Benefice's own site
- Civil Defence Corps during WW2
- Contact webmaster With news, ideas, photos, comments, praise or complaints.
- Cricket The Welney Croft Cricket club
sub-site, results and reports season by season, & a history of cricket in Welney.
- Colony The story of a utopian society
and a great deal more, now on its own much expanded website
- Farming in Welney - a pictorial history from 1880 to 1980 and articles and photos about farming today.
- Fire Service in Welney during WW2
- Flat Earth Experiments How the Old Bedford River was used to try to prove the earth was not a globe
- Flooding of the A1101 Welney Wash Road
- Football History of Welney United FC.
Several pages of of named photos, players appearances, records, awards, etc.
- Friendship club fun for the over 60s, regular meetings and outings
- Guestbook entries for 2001-2005
- Headlines, 2000-2012 Twelve years of Welney Headlines!
- History history of Welney parish
- Home page an introduction to Welney
- Home Guard in Welney during WW2
- Kart racing The Wisbech & District Kart club provide exciting well organised racing
in Welney & help a local charity.
- Links to other local sites More than 20 sites
in and around Welney - clubs, organisations, Councils
- Manea Colony A utopian dream, war against France, the Poor Laws, the Littleport Riots,
a millionaires retreat, now much expanded on its own website
- Marshall's Charity Welney has benefited from a generous benefactor, William Marshall, for over 340 years.
- Millennium Arts Project
How the community worked together in 2000 to mark the Millennium creating the Welney
'MAP', the Welney Archives & Website
- new Community Centre / Parish Hall from proposal to permission
to plop. (Another Utopian Dream?)
- new Pavilion instead of
the 'Community Hall' as the intended combined replacement for current (2014)
Pavilion the Parish Hall
- News Headlines from 1998
- News Tweets from June 2015 yes folks, the webmaster has now joined Twitter. His tweets and retweets have a wide selection of news and info.
- Ouse Washes drainage & flood protection overview
- Parish Action Plan
The 2008 guide for the future (A 38-page PDF file of 10MB & may take several minutes to load).
- Parish Council who they
are, what they do and what they should do.
- Parish Council Minutes of meetings from Jan 2005 to
date. Also shows councillors attendance records up to 2012
- Parish Hall
- Pavilion - current (ie, old)
- Pavilion - proposed new
- People lives and memories of local folk
- Playing Field
- Play equipment at playing field
- Postal services
- Roll of Honour servicemen who died in two world wars
- School History of William Marshall School 1827-2010, & old photos.
- School - POSSIBLE CLOSURE AUGUST 2015
- Shop We said farewell to Pete and
Wendy, and their Post Office Stores better know locally simply as "Wendy's"
- Sewage Treatment scheme 1 Would have
blighted and de-valued many homes; withdrawn following public campaign by residents
of Tipps End and Lakes End
- Sewage Treatment scheme 2 Offering first-time mains sewerage to a limited number of
properties and only to those who can afford to be connected!
- Skating. A short history of Welney's famous speed skaters.
- For current details of where & when you can skate go to the
GL skating pages
- Suspension Bridge History of the bridge and the area named after it
- Tipps End/Tipsend Including an amusing article by former resident David Lewis/
Page has many links to other Tipps End items.
- Utopian Dream - see Manea Colony above (and maybe New Community Hall?)
- Village sign
- Wash Road flooding
- Water Supply and Water Tower (page in production, due early 2013)
- Webmasters postbag
- Website archives of reports, articles, comments, obituaries and other pages from earlier website editions.
- Welmore Lake Sluice
- "Welney News" The history of a great parish-newsletter.
Plus details of the current team.
- Welney Parish Council. See Parish Council above
- William Marshall - our great benefactor
- Womens Institute
- WWT Wetland & Wildlife Trust visitor centre
- Youth Club
|back to top of page
||any comments? please e-mail