These minutes are provided by The Welney Website. They have been converted from the Welney Parish Council's original document into a  web-page format to enable faster downloading and easier reading on your computer.  Font style and some line spacing has been changed but the layout has not otherwise been altered and the text has not been edited in any way. You can print this page using your normal procedure. If you wish to view &/or print the minutes in exactly the same style and page layout as the original document, The Welney Website also provides an 'MS Word' version accessed by the direct link at the bottom of this page or by going to our council minutes index page and selecting the "Word" option for the appropriate meeting. All minutes open in new windows to allow side by side viewing.

 Minutes of the Meeting of the Welney Parish Council

held in the Parish Hall, Welney

on Tuesday 7th April, 2009 at 7.30 p.m.




Cllr.K.Goodger (Chairman)  Cllrs E. Allen, T.Bennett, S.Dobson, C.Freer, V.Pratley and G.Tomkins and the Clerk.  Also Dist.Cllr.D.Pope


Police Community Support Officer Steven Cockrell together with A Police Officer attended

the meeting to introduce themselves and give an update of the crime situation in and around

Welney during the previous month.  They had only investigated three incidents during this

period within the Welney Parish.  They also gave brief details of their current activities and

details of how they can be contacted.  It was agreed to put the information in the next edition

of the Welney News, and the Chairman thanked them both for giving up their time to attend the meeting


1.  Apologies for absence

Apologies for absence were received from Cllrs. M.Brown and S.Kerr and Dist.Cllr. V.Spikings.


2.  Declaration of Interest

None at this stage of the meeting..


.3.  Minutes

The minutes of the Meeting held on the 3rd March, 2009, having been circulated to all councillors, were approved and signed by the Chairman as a correct record of the meeting .


4.  Matters Arising.

1.                Sausage Supper – The Clerk  confirmed that the Hall had been booked for the event

on Saturday 16th May, 2009.  Notice would appear in the Welney News and Posters

had been put up on the Notice Boards and on the Parish Council website.  Tickets

had been printed and were available for sale.  The Entertainment – Sam’s Sounds – has

been booked.   An application form had been downloaded for the Special Event Licence for the bar for this event, and this would be completed and sent off to the

Borough Council in good time.  A cheque for the fee for this in the sum of £21.00 was

duly signed.   Arrangements for the catering were discussed and it was agreed to have

sausages and mash, peas or beans and gravy, followed by a sweet.  The Chairman

agreed to provide the potatoes and speak to a local butcher regarding the sausages.

Final arrangements regarding the catering would be made at the May meeting. when

hopefully we would have an idea of the number of tickets that have been sold.


2.                Local Government Re-organisation – Members had been circulated with a copy of an

e-mail from the Norfolk Association of Local Councils and a copy of a letter dated

19th March from the Boundary Committee for England setting out the two options

for unitary arrangements in Norfolk – 1.A single unitary authority for Norfolk or 2.

A two unitary pattern featuring one authority for Norwich (on expanded city

Boundaries and one for the rest of Norfolk.   A letter dated 31st March from the Borough Council had also been received and this invited members to attend a meeting on

27th April at King’s Lynn.  Dist.Cllr.Pope informed the Council that following the

Court action taken by the Borough Council, the High Court Judges had found in

Favour of the recommendations to keep everything as it is at present, but so far this decision had been ignored by the Boundary Committee.  Cllr Bennett confirmed that he would be willing to attend the meeting, on 27th April and it was hoped that two other councillors would also be able to attend.  Once the outcome of the meeting was

known then the Parish Council could write again to the Boundary Committee setting

out our thoughts and objections.


3.                Sandgate Corner Field – Possible future uses. The Clerk confirmed that she and Cllr.Bennett had met with Mr.Henry of the Borough Council to discuss the possible

future of the field.  A reply had been received stating that in principle the Borough Council were happy to consider entering into a 10 year agreement with the Parish Council.  There was then a general discussion regarding the possible use for the field should the Parish Council take it on.  It was agreed to include a notice in the next edition of the Welney News giving details of proposals from the Parish Council and asking if there is a need for such an area, and also asking for any suggestions from the public.  It was also agreed to emphasise that the field has only just become available.


5.  Public Participation



6.  First Time Sewage for Welney

Following the last meeting the Clerk confirmed that she had spoken to Anglian Water

Services and they confirmed that they would install the necessary stub pipe so that in due course the proposed new Community Centre on the Playing Field could be connected to the mains sewage.


It was also confirmed that the road closure works for New Road and part of March Road should be completed by the 9th of April, but other work would be continuing within the Village.


It was also reported that problems had been experienced with works vehicles and private vehicles using Back Drove.  The contractors had been informed that this was not a route and there vehicles had been stopped from using  the Drove, but several private vehicles were still using it as a short cut.  It was agreed to find out the exact status of Back Drove for future reference.


The Chairman confirmed that the digging of the Lagoons had commenced.


7.  Meeting Reports

There were no meeting reports.


8.  Finance.

     The following Invoices have been received for payment and on the proposal of Cllr.Freer

     Seconded by Cllr.Bennett and agreed, the cheques were signed:


Norfolk Rural Community Council

     Annual Subscription 2009/2010 (No.1010140                  15 . 00


     Norfolk Association of Local Councils

     Annual Subscription 2009/2010 (No. 101016)                      118 . 22


     D.A. Pest Control

     Mole Catching on Playing Field (No. 101017)                     80 . 00


Mrs.P. Copeman

     Salary                          255 . 68

     Expenses                     18 . 25

     Paper & Ink                       15 . 00 (No.101013)             288 . 93


     After discussion it was agreed not to renew the Annual Subscription to the CPRE


Paid by Direct Debit on 2nd April:-

     E-On - electricity supplied to the Pavilion                     74 , 41

     E-On - electricity supplied to Parish Hall                           155 . 18


     Paid into the Bank:

     Borough Council of King’s Lynn & West Norfolk – Precept           8,250 . 00


The meeting was advised that the £1 meters for electricity in the Parish Hall have been increased to 20p per unit, so hopefully this will help to cover some of the cost.  The previous rate did not cover the charges made by E-on on a unit rate charge.


     Annual Audit

The Clerk confirmed that she had now received all the forms from Mazars for the Annual Audit of the Parish Council accounts which will take place on 17th August.  However

all paperwork has to be returned to them by 30th June.  It was agreed to ask  Mr. Shirley if he would be prepared to carry out the internal audit once again but to emphasise that everything

must be done in order that the papers can be returned by the due date, following approval

of the accounts by the Parish Council at the Annual General Meeting in May.


     Clerk Salary Increase

As previously advised, full details of the recommended salary increase as at 1st April 2008 have now been received from County Office.  However, if agreeable to the Council the Clerk confirmed that she would like to keep her salary at the present level and not ask for any increase.  She confirmed that she is now in receipt of State Pension  and if the salary is kept at the current level then there is no involvement for Income Tax or National Insurance.  This offer was accepted by the Council and thanks were extended to the Clerk.


9.  Parish Hall

1.                The electricity meters were emptied prior to the start of the meeting and the sum of

£31.00 was removed.


2.                Painting Party for the Hall – Saturday 18th April, 2009.  A notice regarding this has

Appeared in the Welney News and is also displayed on the notice boards and the

Parish Council website.  Cllrs.Dobson and Pratley confirmed that they will be available on the day together with the Clerk and it was hoped that others would

also attend in the hope that at least part of the hall could be smartened up.


     3.   Purchase and sale of the Hall Site - An e-mail had been received from Michael

           Anker the Environment Agency Solicitor on 18th March, confirming

           that he had prepared a Statutory Declaration and sent if off that day to

           the Chairman for  comments and approval.  Apparently once the form

           of Declaration is agreed, it will need to be sworn in front of a Solicitor

           or Commission for Oaths.  A second S.D. will also be sworn on behalf of the

           E.A. following which an application will then be made to register the

           Freehold of the site at the Land Registry (subject to the Lease to Welney Parish

           Council)    Once this has been concluded a straightforward Transfer of the

           registered land can then take place between the E.A. and the Parish Council

           and on completion of the transfer the tenancy will be extinguished

The chairman confirmed that he had received all the paperwork and this would be completed as required and returned as soon as possible.  It was also agreed to make contact with Elgoods, to ensure that everything was still in order with them for the sale and purchase to proceed.


10. Proposed New Community Centre

As requested at the last meeting, the Clerk had contacted Denis Tuttle and thanked him

     for all his help but advised that we would be proceeding with a local company.

     He replied “Thank you for letting me know the Council’s decision.  I am sorry

     that Pro-Help were not able to be of more assistance to you and I hope the project

     goes well.  PS For future reference it would be helpful to know what the other

     quotations were”.


A letter had been sent to all parties who expressed an interest in the project. and replies had been received from Mike Hastings Design, Peter Humphrey Associates, Mr. Grahame Seaton and Timberville Limited.  Following a lengthy discussion and consideration of all the replies received, it was proposed by Cllr.Allen, seconded by Cllr.Dobson and unanimously agreed that we should ask Peter Humphrey Associates. to visit us again and give them instructions to proceed to planning application based on the information, prices and design of halls that they had provided when they visited the Parish Council..  All agreed that the planning permission was the first stage of the project.  Cllr.Tomkins declared an interest at this stage.  Cllr.Allen then suggested to the meeting that the best way of dealing with the proposed development was to split it into stages and that Council should assess at the end of each stage how things were progressing and to keep an eye on everything as it went along.


The question of a footpath access to the playing field and proposed site of the new Community Centre was then discussed and it was felt that once the new building is started then we would have a much stronger case to go to Highways and ask about the possibility of a footpath along March Road.


11.  Playing Field

The mole catcher had been instructed to attend the Playing Field and as his invoice had been r   received, it was assumed that the problem had been sorted out.


The Clerk confirmed receipt of a telephone call from John Loveday regarding the trees along the Playing Field Boundary.  Mr.Loveday confirmed that he would speak to Mr.Hobbs and arrange for a meeting with the adjoining owners so see what could be done.  He also stated that the Cricket Club were intending to have a clean up of the area around the Pavilion before the start of the Cricket Season.  Dist. Cllr. Pope confirmed that he had been approached by the

Cricket Club to spray the broadleaved weeds on the Playing Field and it was agreed that this

would be in order.


12.  Correspondence

Update from last meeting:

1.   Mr. & Mrs. McCabe - 6 Chestnut Avenue.  I understand that various visits

     have taken place and Dist.Cllr. Pope has been very helpful.  Council was also aware that

     some work (possibly land drainage) has been carried out in the field at the back

     of Chestnut Avenue where the water and foul water had been accumulating.

     Hopefully the problem will now be solved.

     2.   Contact was made with Freebridge regarding the dog fouling problems and they

     acknowledged the letter and also sent a letter to all their tenants confirming that

     dog fouling was not to be allowed, and asking that all dogs are kept under control.


     Correspondence received.

     1.   BCKLWN - Standards Committee - Minutes of meeting held on 24.3.09

     2.   Norfolk Police - Seasonal Crime Prevention Advice

     3.   Copies of “Your Council” publication from BCKLWN (5 copies available)

     4.   Downham Market Area Local Action Group - Minutes of meeting 13.3.09

     5.   CPRE - 26.3.09  Help Clean up Norfolk Campaign.  Details of how to

           organise a little pick in your parish.

     6.   Norfolk Association of Local Councils - The Power of Well Being.

           Details and Training Session available.  It appears from reading this that it

           only applies to those councils who have obtained quality status.

     7.   BCKLWN N - Guidance Notes on how to make a complaint under the

           Code of Conduct about a members behaviour.

     8.   Dogs Trust - Leaflets and Posters (I have put one in the Notice Board)    

     9.   CPRE West Norfolk District - AGM 23.4.09 - King’s Lynn - Agenda and


     10.  Norfolk Association of Local Councils - Freedom of Information Request

           regarding Films of Record that they wish to issue a letter to burial authorities.

           NALC refused to distribute the letter but if the Film company find other ways

           of getting it through then please contact them immediately,

     11.  Norfolk Police - e-mail regarding Local Police Teams raising profile of Door

           Step Crime.  This should appear in the Welney News as I sent it to Rachel

           if she had the room.

     12.  Copy of Countryside Voice - the Magazine for the CPRE. (Cllr.Bennertt)

     13.  Copy of Fieldwork - Newsletter from the CPRE  (Cllr.Bennett)

     14.  Glasdon - Various booklets and leaflets regarding Playground equipment

           and street furniture,

     15.  BCKLWN - E-consultation Pilot Scheme - Form to be completed so that access

           can be obtained to this scheme.   If you remember Amanda Driver was going

           to come and talk about this at the February meeting but I circulated everyone

           with the paperwork which she sent.

16.            Norfolk Police – 1.4.09  - Changing Times – The Changes that affect you.

Booklet for information relating to the Police Service.  Copies have been delivered

to all houses in the area.

17.            Information Commissioners Office – Tick Tock DVD regarding the Freedom of

Information Act and various schemes.

     18.  Queensbury Shelters 1.4.09 – Shelters for the Community.


13.  Plans and Planning Matters .

     The following planning permission has been received

     1.   Ref No. 08/02606/F

           Retention of Managers Accommodation at Pisces Country Park, Bedford Bank

           Welney, PE14 9TB.

           This application was refused for the following reasons

           1.  The proposed permanent managers accommodation would constitute

           a new residential unit in the countryside.  The applicant has failed to

           demonstrate that the functional requirement could not be met by the existing

           permanent dwelling on site, neither has the applicant met the financial test

           laid down in PPS7 Annexe A.

           2.  Planning Policy statement 25 states that inappropriate development in

           areas at risk of flooding should be resisted.  Mobile homes for permanent

           residential use are classified as a highly vulnerable form of development

           within planning policy statement 25. and should be refused. in Flood Zone 3

           The proposed site is located within Flood Zone 3 of the KLWNBC and is

           deemed to be an area st risk of fluvial inundation.


     2.   Ref No. 09/00029/F

           Construction of a replacement dwelling at Bluebell Spinney, Hundred Foot

           Bank, Welney

           Planning permission was granted subject to the following

           1.  The development hereby permitted shall be begun before the expiration

           of three years from the date of the permission

           2.  Within two months of the occupation of the new dwelling hereby permitted

           the existing dwelling to be replaced shall be demolished and all resultant

           materials shall be removed from the site.

           3.  Finished floor levels shall be no lower than 650mm above the general

           surrounding ground level.


3.                Ref No. 09/00151/CU

Site for conversion of land from arable to a fenced wet grassland with impermeable

Membrane at land at WWT. Welney.

Planning approval dated 31.3.09


A letter was received from the Norfolk County Council dated 2.4.09 regarding the Local

List Validation Requirements for Planning Applications.  This is open for consultation and

     comments must be received by 22nd May.  Councillors were given details of the website

     where the proposals can be found.  The Clerk had downloaded a hard copy which was

     handed to Cllr.Bennett and the matter would be included on the Agenda for the next meeting    so that any comments can be forwarded before the deadline.


14.  Highway Matters.

Following the last meeting the matters raised had been reported to Highways, but  nothing

Further has been heard.  It was noticed that the hole near the Parish Hall where Bedford Bank joins Main Street had been filled in.


The following points were raised for attention by Highways:

Water lies on the side of the road in front of Welney House (Claytons Corner)

There is still a problem with a large area of water lying outside Bridge Farm House, at Suspension Bridge

There are dangerous edges where the road is breaking away on the Wash Road and also

cracks in the pavement on Delph Bridge.


A letter had been received from the Norfolk County Council dated 6.4.09 stating that the

Order for Meadow Lane to become a restricted byway, had been confirmed unopposed.

Notices to this effect would be displayed in the Eastern Daily Press and at either end of

Meadow Lane.


Following the meeting with Highways and the Environment Agency relating to the Wash Road etc. copies of the report of the meeting to all those parties mentioned at the meeting,.  Cllrs.Dobson and Bennett confirmed that they had had a further meeting with the E.A. and agreement had been reached as follows:

They would change the metre numbers on the gauge boards in the river to red and possibly move the board further back to make it more visible.  They would also possibly put a similar board in the Delph on the other side of the bridge.  They would also try and install signs giving information about the 2.4 m level when it reaches the road.

After the meeting the question of the gauge boards on the road was discussed as these need to be corrected, but these are a responsibility of Highways.  The E.A. confirmed that they are happy to work with NCC Highways to ensure that the boards show the correct levels.

The sophisticated system that would show the water levels is still being looked into.

15.  Environmental Issues.



16.  W.A.S.H. Committee

Open Day on 25th April.  A notice had appeared in the Welney News and was also displayed on the Notice Boards and Parish Council website.  It was agreed that no further meetings were necessary, but an e-mail to committee members reminding them of the event would be sent out.  The Clerk agreed to purchase sausage rolls, tea and coffee for the event.  Mr.Smith of

Outwell had been approached to attend with a possible display but he could not confirm whether he would be able to be present.


17.   Parish Action Plan.

After discussion it was agreed to consider this matter again at the next meeting, as it was felt that it was time for the whole Document to be reviewed.  Councillors were encouraged to

Study their copies and bring them along to the next meeting


18.  Items for next Agenda



There being no further business the Chairman thanked everyone for attending, and declared the meeting closed at 9.30 p.m. 


Signed… K.Goodger…………………………………… (Chairman.)       


Dated … 5th May. 2009……………………………………


View as an MS Word document, or return to the Welney Website's Parish Council Minutes Index page using your browser arrow